Oregano Systems syn1588® PCIe NIC is a PCI Express Gbit network interface card with IEEE1588 hardware support. A PC equipped with the syn1588® PCIe NIC receives highly accurate time (<10 ns) independent from network utilization and CPU load without real-time requirements for the node’s operating system.
The syn1588® PCIe NIC acts basically as a standard 10/100/1000 MBit/s Network Interface Card (NIC). Besides the standard function of sending and receiving Ethernet packets, the syn1588® PCIe NIC includes dedicated hardware to implement high accuracy clock synchronization following the IEEE1588 standard.
The syn1588® PCIe NIC includes a full-featured IEEE1588 hardware clock as well as complex timestamping hardware. All time critical elements of an IEEE1588 system are embedded in the syn1588® PCIe NIC thus removing all timing constraints from the software. There are no real-time requirements for the operating system or the software stack. Due to its special structure, the CPU load for the required IEEE1588 stack (e.g. Oregano Systems syn1588® PTP Stack) is negligible.
syn1588® PCIe NIC – System Features
- clock synchronization accuracy better than 10 ns
- local hardware clock and optionally synchronized system clock
- timestamping of
- user-defined Ethernet packets
- external (hardware) events
- internal (software) events
- optional interrupt on timestamp event
- hardware support for dense timestamp event
- master or slave operation
- generation of
- programmable frequency
- 1 PPS
- pseudo GPS data stream
- on-board jitter-cleaner PLL allowing generation of synchronized clean, accurate high-speed clocks
- synchronization in master mode to an absolute time reference (e.g. GPS receiver)
- high precision oscillator options
- software for Windows/Linux/FreeBSD
syn1588® PCIe NIC - FAQ
This FAQ document summarizes frequently asked questions and their answers when using the syn1588® PCIe NIC for the first time. Please check this document in case of any issues or unintended behaviour of your system prior contacting the syn1588® support.
syn1588® PCIe NIC – Application Notes
Debugging & Support
syn1588® PCIe NIC – Technical Features
The syn1588® PCIe NIC allows to easily create a standard-compliant IEEE1588 node. For this both
- hardware (the syn1588® PCIe NIC)
- and software (the syn1588® PTP Stack with drivers)
are required. The syn1588® PCIe NIC is plugged into your PC or server. Now, the drivers have to be installed. Finally, the syn1588® PTP Stack has to be invoked on your system to complete the IEEE1588 node. Note, the syn1588® PCIe NIC comes with a binary run-time license of the syn1588® PTP Stack.
- 1-lane PCI Express low-profile card (version 2.0, compatible with 1.1)
- 10/100/1000 MBit/s Ethernet NIC
- standard copper network or SFP type fiber interface
- sophisticated CPU interface removing timing constraints from the control software (allows using non-real-time operating systems)
- two user programmable input/output signals on SMA connectors on PCI bracket
(trigger, 1 PPS, period, event)
- two more user programmable input/output signals available internally
- Generation of user-defined periodical signals (frequencies)
- Generation of user-defined a-periodical signals (single events)
- Generation of 1PPS signal and IRIG-B data stream
- Timestamping of dense external hardware events
- On-board jitter cleaner PLL for generation of accurate, high-speed clock signals (up to 156 MHz)
- Optional external clock input that drives the syn1588® hardware clock (ExtClk option)
- User programmable time stamper for Ethernet packets
- Oregano Systems’ patented 1-step timestamping
- VLAN and IPv6 support for IEEE1588 packet processing including 1-step operation
- Stable TCXO oscillator (better than 1 ppm) to improve stability & accuracy
- Optionally high precision, high-stability OCXO oscillator (better than 0.1 ppm) to further improve long-term stability & accuracy
- driver software for Windows/Linux/FreeBSD
- syn1588® PTP Stack run-time license included (for Windows/Linux/FreeBSD)
syn1588® PCIe NIC – Applications
Distribute accurate time to IEEE1588 slaves
PCs equipped with the syn1588® PCIe NIC synchronize their local hardware clock with an accuracy of 10 ns or better to the absolute time information distributed by an IEEE1588 grandmaster.
syn1588® PCIe NIC acting as IEEE1588 slave
Implement an IEEE1588 grandmaster
A PC equipped with the syn1588® PCIe NIC may act as an IEEE1588 Grandmaster on your network. The syn1588® PCIe NIC may synchronize its local hardware clock to an external absolute time reference like e.g. a GPS receiver.
syn1588® PCIe NIC acting as IEEE1588 grandmaster
Oregano Systems provides a utility the – syn1588® PTP Management Software – free of charge that allows users to remotely manage all IEEE1588-2008 nodes in a network.
Please check the Application Note "Ordering syn1588® PCIe NICs" describing the available options for the syn1588® PCIe NIC and their respective ordering number.
Please note that we generally recommend a high quality OCXO oscillator for all IEEE1588 master applications.
Looking for recent software updates? Please contact Oregano Systems‘ support. We will provide you your required updates via our secure download server (SFTP server)
This could also be of interest
+43 676 84 31 04 -200
+43 676 84 31 04 -300